Everybody wants to work with the latest tools, the latest feautures. But the world of enterprise IT isn’t like that.
My customer started to move all of his Oracle Databases to the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI). But one of these databases had an Oracle Forms C/S frontend .
We are talking Oracle Forms 6i client/server on Windows, 100% generated with Oracle Designer.
We could rebuild/redesign the old application to Oracle Apex, but that would be an entire project by itself.
But first we investigated if it was possible to connect this software from 1995 to the 21th century.
This is the road I traveled:
Step 1: Disable SQL*Net
First I tried making a connection with SQL*Plus from the same Oracle-home as Forms to the new database:
ORA-12660: Encryption or crypto-checksumming parameters incompatible
A standard OCI Database installation enables secure SQL*Net. So we have to disable that:
we are not using an Autonomous database, so we still have a “server” we can connect to in OCI.
On this database database server secure SQL*Net is enabled by
This was removed.
Step 2: Correcting the characterset of the database
Testing, again with SQL*Plus, the executable crashed big time with a General Protection Fault.
[Sorry, dutch only]
Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: APPCRASH
Naam van de toepassing: PLUS80.exe
Versie van toepassing: 0.0.0.0
Tijdstempel van toepassing: 35aa8e2f
Naam van foutmodule: ORA805.dll
Versie van foutmodule: 0.0.0.0
Tijdstempel van foutmodule: 3b1f22b0
Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Fatal NI connect error 12203, connecting to:
TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 22.214.171.124.0 – Production
Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version 126.96.36.199.0 – Production
Time: 01-FEB-19 09:29:12
Tracing not turned on.
Tns error struct:
nr err code: 12203
TNS-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination
ns main err code: 12560
TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
ns secondary err code: 0
nt main err code: 530
TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
nt secondary err code: 0
nt OS err code: 0
After some research I found out that the characterset of the database was the culprit, so we provisioned a cloud database with the same characterset as the old on-premises database
Step 3: Allowed versie of the database
To connect with an older client to database with a higher version, you have to allow this in the sqlnet.ora on the serverside. So we did:
SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION_SERVER = 8
Testing again with SQL*Plus became funky:
SQL*Plus: Release 188.8.131.52.0 – Production on Fri Feb 1 14:49:43 2019
(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Enter user-name: *****
ORA-03137: malformed TTC packet from client rejected: [kpoal8Check-5] 
[0x000000000] [0x000000000]    
First I ignored this “notification”, but later I found that IFRUN60.EXE got the same message and stopped. So I had to address the problem.
It seems that in database version 12.2 some extra checks where build in SQL*Net (Bug 26092744) causing that older clients can’t connect any more to the database:
the on-premises database was 12.1, the Cloud 12.2.
So we provisioned a 12.1 database with the correct characterset with secure sqlnet disabled in OCI
SQL*Plus stopped complaining and we were able to connect with Oracle Forms.
We are now in production with this configuration, and the responstime within the screens are beter than using the on-premises database.
We stille have some issues of course:
- We have to end-of-life the Forms application.
- 12.1 will be desupported by Oracle
- WE8ISO8859P1 is missing some vital characters ( euro sign).
Our migration pad will be to migrate to Oracle Apex on a 19.2+ database version with UTF8 as characterset with secure SQL*Net.
But that will be another story.